To become a market leader in freight and passenger transport in the corridors of operation and efficient enough to be financially self sufficient.
To provide safe, comfortable and reliable rail transport services at competitive rates for profit.
The railway was first contemplated in 1870, but it was not until 1896 that concrete steps were taken towards a realization of the project at a time when the gold mines in the Tarkwa area were attracting considerable attention. Construction started from Sekondi in 1898 and reached Kumasi (267km) in 1903, having passed through Tarkwa in 1901 and Obuasi in 1902. Train operation started in 1903.
Below is the development history of Ghana’s Railway System:-
The Railway was first contemplated in 1870, but it was not until 1896 that concrete steps were taken towards a realization of the project at a time when goldmines in the Tarkwa area were attracting considerable attention. Survey for the project was undertaken between Sekondi and Tarkwa by Sir William Shelford. The choice of a coast terminus was the subject of considerable discussion. Both Takoradi and Sekondi were considered, but while it was recognized that the former was a superior location for a deep water harbour, the traffic prospects as they were then, did not warrant the expenditure on a deep water quay and Sekondi was selected as a lighterage harbour. Construction started from Sekondi in 1898 and reached Kumasi (165miles) in 1903, having passed through Tarkwa in 1901 and Obuasi in 1902. The first train left Sekondi for Kumasi on October 1st 1903 and from then, the Railway sector imparted positively on the social and economic growth of Ghana from the working result of the Railway. Ghana’s small but economically vital rail network is confined to the southern half of the country which is also the most populous and economically advanced. For operational purposes the company operates a network with a route length of 947 Kilometres comprising the western, central and Eastern lines. The total track length is 1300kilmetres. The network has three major branch lines, two of which are on the western line and the other on the central line. With the exception of the 30 kilometres Takoradi-Manso section which is double track to meet increased traffic density, the rest of the network is distributed on a single track system of 1067mm (3, 6) gauge. Minerals constitute the main streams of freight traffic on the network but cocoa and timber traffic made important contribution to earnings of the system. Passenger train services are provided on all three lines.
With the exception of partial freight operations on the Western line (Manganese traffic from Nsuta to Takoradi) and the sub-urban rail services on part of the Eastern line (Accra-Tema and Accra Nsawam) the rest of the lines are not operational. These are the Tarkwa to Kumasi and Dunkwa to Awaso stretches on the Western line; Nsawam to Kumasi on the Eastern line and the entire Central line from Huni-Valley to Kotoku. Currently, the tracks are weak after the rehabilitation carried out about 25 years ago. The Signaling and telecommunication system has totally collapsed and the mineral wagons have limited life left in them. The passenger coaches, imported in 1986, are now dilapidated and need to be refurbished.
The Railway organisation started in 1901 as a department of the Gold Coast Service. Its headquarters was located at Sekondi where construction of Ghana’s rail system began in 1898. The headquarters was later moved to Takoradi in 1934, when a new Administration Block was completed along with the Takoradi Harbour in 1927. With the building of the harbour, the railway and the harbour came under the joint administration of Railway and Harbours Administration. A succession of expatriate civil servants headed the railways as General Manager and Harbours Authority until 1960, when the first Ghanaian head of the then Locomotive Department now Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Department was appointed to the post. The Railway and Harbours Administration became a statutory corporation on 1st July 1972, with the passing of the Railway and Ports Act 1971 Decree (SMCD) which separated the Railway from the Ports and established them as two distinct bodies-corporate under separate administrations. In August 1982, the Board of Directors gave way to an Interim Management Committee (IMC) of seven under the Chairmanship of the General Manager. Again, in December, 1984, a Joint Consultative Committee (JCC) was set up, to replace the IMC, as an advisory body. The post of General Manager was changed to “Managing Director in May 1985. In February 1995, the Board of Directors were re-constituted and now the Railway has an eight member Board. On 7th March, 2001, Railway was issued with a Certificate of Incorporation by the Registrar of Companies, and is now known as Ghana Railway Company Limited. This is to allow for private sector participation and investments into railway operations. Executive control of the organisation is vested in the Managing Director who is assisted by two Deputy Managing Directors, one of Administration and Operations, [DMD(A/O)] and the other for Engineering,[DMD(E)]. The day to day management of its business falls under the jurisdiction of Heads of Department, who variously report to the Managing Director and his deputies. Area Managers are responsible for the Regional offices in Tarkwa, Kumasi and Accra for administrative control and co-ordination of work in the regions.
Controller of Supplies
Chief MEC/ELEC Engineer
Data Processing Manager
Deputy administrative secretary